Sunrise Day Camp–Long Island brings the simple pleasures of childhood back to children struggling with cancer, changing months of loneliness and isolations into summers filled with smiles, laughter and friendships.
Sunrise Day Camp–Long Island is a program of the Sunrise Association, whose mission is to bring back the joys of childhood to children with cancer and their siblings world-wide, through the creation of Day Camps, Year-Round Programs and In-Hospital Recreational Activities, all offered free of charge.
Sunrise Association Snapshot
COVID-19 has changed our world.
In a year like no other, these very special children needed us, now more than ever. We answered their call, bringing unique virtual programming to children at home and in the hospital. In the words of our campers, "Sunrise makes quarantine fun!"
- Over 1,700 children participated in our virtual summer camps.
- Over 8,000 packages delivered to our campers in 2020 through our New-Years and Camp-In-A-Box initiatives.
- Over 13,000 children have viewed our online, interactive Sunrise on Screens videos.
- Over 9,000 bags of crafts and games have been sent to our partner hospitals.
- And finally, countless and countless Sunrise smiles created across the world.
Looking Ahead to 2021
- Dorothy & Irving Ross Sunrise Studios: Thanks to a generous gift from the Frances Davis Fund, we have officially opened Sunrise Studios, which now assures that we will be able to offer virtual programs alongside our in-person ones, thereby expanding Sunrise’s reach into areas of the country – and eventually the world.
- We are excited to share with you that all 5 of our U.S.-based Sunrise Day Camps – Long Island, Pearl River, Staten Island, Atlanta (Aurora) and Baltimore (Horizon) – will be opening this summer for in-person camping, along with a virtual camp option for those families who are more comfortable with or who need distance-camping.